The Forres Local Business Network is a mailing list that allows all its subscribers to stay ‘in the loop’ with business-related activity in the town.
As a not-for-profit social enterprise (Community Interest Company), we have set ourselves a remit to provide a platform for publicity, it’s also a way for us to understand the needs of local businesses so that we can support them.
We’re always keen to hear from local business owners about ways we can work together, and we’ve had extremely positive responses. Here’s some of things we’ve been doing for collaborative publicity
- A free local business directory of ALL local businesses in the IV36 postcode area
- A comprehensive resource during lockdown of business changes including listings
- An ongoing ‘shop local’ campaign called Forres Loves Local which is well-supported in the town by the business community and shoppers. (2020, ongoing)
- Advertising local businesses through our own and third party platforms
- We are engaging with local businesses right now to produce a series of videos that support the ‘shop local’ message and the town. (2020)
- Raising funds to support businesses with marketing and promotion during continued lockdown. (Ongoing)
- Offering publicity services, including press releases, photography and video to local community organisations and events free of charge (2020, ongoing)
Through our support, the town and at least nine of its businesses have got publicity in regional and national press, as well as our website and social networks, which together are viewed more than 200,000 times a year. We have organised collaborative advertising on local radio and this is something we are continuing to work on in 2021.
Here are some examples of national and regional press coverage from our free syndication of our own articles.
- Nine of the best Scottish towns, cities and villages raising some Christmas cheer – Scotsman
- Moray town centre bucks economic forecasts with six new openings during pandemic – Press and Journal
- Moray butcher sees changing customer preferences during lockdown – Press and Journal
- Moray restaurant launches new menu for home delivery – Evening Express
We’re also actively promoting businesses on our social channels. We’ve increased our Facebook following in just over a year from 1500 to 4600. Businesses we’ve interviewed on video have had exceptional reach, for example:
- FourTwoHQ: https://fb.watch/3u9y02cCLY/ – 48k video views
- Forres Fish Bar: https://fb.watch/3u8OMRmEiO/ – 22k video views
- Babalu: https://fb.watch/3u95tVDLuU/ – 3.5k views
- Maclean’s Bakery: https://fb.watch/3u9MvqVsfw/ – 3.1k views
Works in progress
And we’re working on some other ambitious projects too. As a social enterprise, we don’t have shareholders. All our profits go back into the core aims and that’s to promote Forres. Some of the projects we’re also working on, include
- Employing and training young people
- Smartphone app
- Loyalty card and Gift voucher scheme
- Virtual marketplace
If you have news or information you’d like us to promote, just get in touch, or send your press release or email your news to firstname.lastname@example.org